Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Balls and Bladder infections

Sunday night, we got back from a fantastic vacation. Yesterday, Matt left, having bought a one-way ticket to Harrisburg, PA, and this morning, Ozzy is getting his testicles removed. Not a stellar beginning to the week so far. Especially not for Ozzy (don't be too alarmed at these developments: Matt had to go for work, and Ozzy is a male cat, although I'm still having conscience twinges about the morality of sterilizing innocent creatures).

I took my last antibiotic this morning for the raging bladder infection that I mistakenly diagnosed as a poop pregnancy due to too much Mtn. Dew and vending machine food. I always thought privately, growing up, that people (in this case, people = my sister)who complained about bladder infections were pansies - how much could a bladder possibly hurt, for godssakes??

Plenty, as it turns out. I had my first introduction to the dreaded UTI last February. I thought I had appendicitis at first, the pain was that bad. This time, my first clue that it was something other than a poop pregnancy was when I began having to pee rougly every 15 minutes. It was like diarrhea of the bladder - the kind where you sit down to pee, get up, and immediately have to pee again, even before you've properly pulled up your sweatpants (note that you're definitely not going to be wearing anything with a zipper. That would be beyond foolish).

Then I got a hideous bachache while out getting an oil change at Wal-Mart's "express" service. Which took three hours. After unsuccessfully hobbling around the store for a bit, I had to take a seat at the sub-par McD's contained within - I say "sub-par" because it didn't have ice cream cones, which is what I wanted at the moment. The backache, I later found out, is really a kidney-ache, which happens when your bladder infection rages on unchecked, with the bacteria multiplying ever 20 minutes, and marches on to the kidneys, another surprisingly painful region of the body when properly infected.

The antibiotic, I found, is another one of those things which produces a near pregnancy experience. You start popping them at breakfast, and end up by lunchtime with a three-month's pregnant stomach from the warring bacteria and noxious gases swirling around in there. I say, "swirling", and "gases", but don't get the wrong impression; there was nothing airy or ethereal about my stomach.

Anyhow, I'm cured for the moment, but entirely alone - minus one Matt and one Ozzy. I will perhaps recap my vacation later this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger jessica rabbit said...

no worries. Feeling much better now, as is Ozzy.

I see you're going to CO School of Mines? I thought about going there back when I was still contemplating an MS in Geology.

I like Denver. Last weekend had the biggest, fattiest dinner at Maggiano's - the family-style menu option where you order two apps, two salads, two pastas, two main courses, and two desserts, and it's all you can eat. Delicious, yet painful.

10:32 AM  
Blogger jessica rabbit said...

Boston is lots of fun, but superextrabitterly cold during the winter. And, like you said, housing is ridiculously expensive. Some of my friends just bought a tiny, fixer-upper house for like 270K there. It needed all of its walls straightened.

I went once to hear a friend's lecture at an MIT conference, got a tour of the labs, and it was really nice. A lot of really neat stuff in their labs.

5:00 PM  
Blogger jessica rabbit said...

Hamster maze, eh? I never thought of it that way, but I suppose so. I was merely struck by how considerate their builders were. Especially after spending four years at UConn, which turns into an icy wind tunnel early in November, and stays that way into April. Gah.

I can say that you are probably far more likely to experience a poop pregnancy than I am to experience your feelings about cold weather.

Oh, solliptickbh... something... I finally figured out how to do that, but I keep forgetting. Thanks for the remind.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home