Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Update on strange spots and a shower-related injury

I am at the internet cafe at the moment (obviously), and I think it
worth mentioning that nearly every time I've been here, I've been
seated next to a Chinese person who has been enthusiastically gaming
and chain smoking the entire time. The one I'm next to today has
produced some nice spit for the floor along with all the ash and
cigarette butts. Why is this acceptable?? I've seen several Chinese
biking across multiple lanes of madly honking oncoming traffic
(despite all the "no honking" signs), calmly puffing away on their
cigarettes.

I have also an update on the strange spots. As I stated before, they
are not zits. They are large, red, itchy welts that I now recognize
as mosquito bites. My new theory is that the three or four days of
rain allowed them to multiply. Why they thought my forehead was
tasty, I have no idea. Now, you may be thinking that I'm making a big
deal over some minor discomfort and indignity, but who knows what
horrible diseases these mosquitos may be carrying? After all, they
have plenty of rotting trash (I know, because there are three
stinking, overflowing trash cans next to the "Foreing Experts Hotel"
that we have to walk by every day) and human waste to feed on. That
is why two of us fled our mosquito-infested rooms and spent the night
on Dr. Halleck's couches.

In addition to the forehead injuries, I got a shower-related injury
this morning. For no discernible reason, the showers here are made
for 3-foot tall people. Also, there is no water pressure to speak of.
Even though the shower head is detachable, this makes showering very
awkward, and I've been experimenting with different ways to lather up
my hair with both hands while still getting a little water to drip
over me. I have resorted to squatting in the shower. There is no
reason why anyone should have to squat in the shower, and there is no
excuse for having showers like this - the Chinese are simply not that
short anymore. Anyway, as I stood up after having lathered up and
rinsed, my hindquarters caught on the faucet, and I now have an open
wound which will be difficult to keep clean.

Fortunately, we leave for Beijing on Saturday, but our university has
thoughtfully arranged for us to stay overnight at another university
in Beijing. Now, this is a problem because the lodging arrangements
are for 80 quai rooms with community bathrooms. To give you some idea
of how bad this will probably be, the rooms we're staying in now go
for about 200 quai. Plus, there is no guarantee that the community
bathrooms will have western toilets. A hovel with a community squatty
potty is NOT my idea of acceptable accomodation. We must find a way
to gracefully back out of these reservations and book a Holiday Inn at
the airport or something. I had to leave my bathroom this morning
because the smell of sewage first thing in the morning on an empty
stomach is not a good thing.

Going to Fridays after this to return umbrellas (and have some honey
mustard sauce); then, maybe the antique market, and dinner at a museum
with a very large collection of ancient Buddha statues.

Note: on the English tv channel last night was an hour-long program entitled: Indian chessboard makers face tough times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home